What Requires One to Have a Commercial Pesticide Applicator License?

— Written By Bill Hanlin and last updated by JoAnne Gryder
en Español

El inglés es el idioma de control de esta página. En la medida en que haya algún conflicto entre la traducción al inglés y la traducción, el inglés prevalece.

Al hacer clic en el enlace de traducción se activa un servicio de traducción gratuito para convertir la página al español. Al igual que con cualquier traducción por Internet, la conversión no es sensible al contexto y puede que no traduzca el texto en su significado original. NC State Extension no garantiza la exactitud del texto traducido. Por favor, tenga en cuenta que algunas aplicaciones y/o servicios pueden no funcionar como se espera cuando se traducen.

English is the controlling language of this page. To the extent there is any conflict between the English text and the translation, English controls.

Clicking on the translation link activates a free translation service to convert the page to Spanish. As with any Internet translation, the conversion is not context-sensitive and may not translate the text to its original meaning. NC State Extension does not guarantee the accuracy of the translated text. Please note that some applications and/or services may not function as expected when translated.

Collapse ▲

pest applicatorWe have numerous people in the area that maintain lawns for a fee. Most of the time, the labor includes just mowing and trimming the lawn. Occasionally, some type of weed or insect control may be necessary which may require some type of pesticide application. Before you apply that pesticide for a fee, make sure you are complying with the North Carolina pesticide laws.

According to the pesticide laws, anyone applying a pesticide for money has to be a certified commercial pesticide applicator. Commercial applicators must take a test administered by the North Carolina Department of Agriculture (NCDA) and pay an annual licensing fee of $75. Commercial applicators must also attend meetings to receive the recertification credits needed to retain their license.

Even if you are just applying a pesticide to control weeds in driveways, if you receive a fee to apply the chemical then you must be a certified commercial applicator. This also goes for workers that may be required to do some pest control at their place of business. For example, fast food workers cannot legally apply pesticides around their work establishment if they are not certified applicators.

If you are not being monetarily compensated for the pesticide application, then you do not have to be a commercial applicator. Someone volunteering their time to apply herbicides around a church would not have to be certified. If you are interested in obtaining a commercial or private pesticide applicators license, contact your local N.C. Cooperative Extension office for details.

The Cooperative Extension Service and the NCDA will be offering pesticide school and exam in Lenoir, NC, on February 9th and 10th. Interested individuals can go on line at http://www.ncagr.gov/SPCAP/pesticides/license.htm to find out more information on the exams and how to order study materials.